On-Campus Transfer Students

You've been officially accepted to PennWest California: Congratulations and welcome! 

To get the right start, follow the checklist below. It lists important first steps to complete before you start at PennWest California and information and resources that can help you succeed.  

As a transfer student, your academic needs are different than those of incoming freshmen, but you'll feel right at home. Approximately 40% of our undergraduates are transfer students. 

  • In addition to the steps below, you can always get assistance from the Office of Articulation and Transfer, in 315 Dixon Hall; or call 724-938-5939 or email Or you can contact the Admissions staff for help throughout your time at PennWest California: call 724-938-4404 or email

Take Important First Steps

  • Confirm your acceptance. Secure your place at PennWest California as soon as possible with your Advance Tuition Deposit of $100 (non-refundable) either by paying online or downloading the PDF form and sending in your check. The Advance Tuition Deposit will be deducted from your first semester bill.
  • Get connected. Set up your password to access your email. Make sure to check your PennWest California email regularly because this is where the University sends all important correspondence!
  • Login to myPennWest: myPennWest is your one-stop shop to view your grades, degree plan, transcripts, financial aid and billing information. Log in and set up your VIP account by clicking on the VIP logo at the bottom of the PennWest California homepage. Use the same username and password that accesses your campus email.
  • Complete the FAFSA for financial aid: Make sure to file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for financial aid. Go to Request your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID online at Your FSA ID lets you "sign" your online FAFSA, and access and make corrections to your application information.
  • Apply for housing and meal plans: If you plan to live in on-campus housing or in our Vulcan Village apartments, please complete and submit your housing and meal plan contracts.
  • Register for New Student Orientation: During this program, you can confirm your class schedule, get your student ID, and meet with financial aid, student accounts, parking and many other University departments. Space is limited for each event, so register early. For more information, email or call 724-938-1626.
  • Send in final transcripts. You must submit official transcripts from all colleges you have attended. If you completed any college coursework after your official acceptance, you must send those transcripts to PennWest California.  No credits will be transferred after enrollment from any college transcripts not disclosed at the time of acceptance. Ask each school to send your official transcript to PennWest California. For a courtesy transcript evaluation, contact the Office of Articulation and Transfer at 724-938-5939 or
  • Submit the Medical Information Form. All students enrolling at PennWest California are required to submit this form. Download it and, with your family, complete the first three pages of the form. Your physician should complete and sign page four of the form, titled "Report of Health Evaluation." Send your completed form to the Wellness Center in Carter Hall.
  • Settle your bill balance or set up a payment plan. Log in to myPennWest. to handle these.

Learn More

  • Check out the Office of Commuter and Non-traditional Student Services: Be sure to check out the Commuter Center, which offers you a range of services at no additional cost, including University network-linked personal computers and laser printers, locker storage, refrigerator and microwave, large-screen TV and more. An administrator is available to help you. The Commuter Center is located in the Natali Student Center.
  • Complete testing requirements: The PennWest California Placement Testing Center schedules the placement testing necessary to determine appropriate courses for subjects such as math and English. If you are required to test, please contact the Placement Testing Center at 724-938-5779.
  • Support for students with disabilities: If you need to explore disability access or request accommodations, visit the Office for Students with Disabilities website or call 724-938-5781.
  • Support for service members, veterans and dependents: For assistance with benefits, contact Robert Prah, director of Military and Veterans Affairs, at or 724-938-4076 before beginning classes. If you self-identified as military or a military dependent, you will need to provide documents to verify your status to ensure you receive the appropriate military discounts.

View important updates about financial aid, orientation and much more at PennWest.