Environmental Health and Safety (EHS)

Promoting Safety in the Workplace

The Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Office is charged with providing PennWest California employees with educational programs, technical assistance, and other services in these areas.  The skills and talents you bring to PennWest California are vital to our mission of teaching, research, and service.  One of the keys to accomplishing that mission is a safe and healthy campus environment.  Remember, safety begins with you!

The University's policies, procedures, and manuals may be found on the PennWest California's Campus-Wide Intranet System (CWIS).  Intranet access is reserved for university Faculty and Staff.   The EHS link may be accessed by logging onto: http://cwis.calu.edu and entering your user name and university logon password or by contacting EHS directly.  The EHS link is located under Administration.

Environmental Health and Safety Staff

Ben Wise
Office of Environmental Health and Safety
Fire Safety Specialist
Dixon Hall, Room 503

Environmental Health and Safety Programs

Worker's Compensation


The Office of Human Resources administers the workers' compensation program for the University and processes all work-related injury claims.

In accordance with the Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation Act, any University employee who suffers an accidental injury or occupational illness within the meaning of the law is entitled Medical Benefits and Compensation.  

The University workers' compensation program covers all full-time, part-time, and student employees of PennWest California.  Temporary employees are covered based on the method of hire.

In Case of Work-Related Injury: 

Initial treatment should occur at the University Health Services Center (Student Health Center), located in Carter Hall.

The employee will complete the Report of Occupational Injury or Illness form provided at that time If the injury is severe enough to require additional treatment, you are required to be examined by a member of the University's Panel of Health Care Providers.

All work-related accidents must immediately be reported to your supervisor.  The supervisor must immediately report the incident to the Human Resources Office workers' compensation manager.

If you suffer a work-related injury, Inservco Insurance Services, Inc. is responsible for payment for reasonable, necessary, and related medical and surgical services, orthopedic appliances, prosthetic devices, and training in their use.

To ensure payment for medical treatment:

You must treat with one of the  panel providers during the first 90 days of treatment.  You will also be required to sign and date the Workers' Compensation Employee Notification form and the Workers' Compensation Information form acknowledging your rights and duties under the Workers' Compensation Act.  Both forms are included in the University's Work-Related Injury Procedures.  Both forms are also included in the workers' compensation packet of information that will be provided at the time of injury at the health services center.  The forms are the last two pages in that packet of information.

Workers' Compensation Information Form:

For your convenience, a Workers' Compensation Claimant Information sheet has been included with the packet of information issued at the University Health Services Center when receiving treatment for a work-related injury.  This sheet serves as the cover page on the information packet.  Complete your information, tear off the page and present it to the panel provider.  This sheet will provide the medical office/facility with your information, the University contact information, and the Workers' Compensation Carrier.

Environmental Protection


Environmental compliance focuses on activities that could affect the quality of air, soil, drinking water, or groundwater.  Activities include handling asbestos, testing and abatement, underground storage tanks, lead, radon, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), air and water quality, environmental site assessments, and contaminated site remediation.

Hazardous Materials Management


EHS manages PennWest California's hazardous waste, including waste pickups.  Activities include advising on hazardous materials spills and releases, biohazardous wastes, and specialized recycling programs management.

Occupational Health and Safety


EHS is responsible for programs such as respiratory protection, hearing conservation, bloodborne pathogens, and others.  The department also conducts fume hood inspections, indoor air quality investigations, accident investigations, and assists departments with general safety procedures.

Fire Protection


EHS handles fire prevention and training, fire suppression systems, fire extinguisher inspection and maintenance, fire drills, and life safety audits.

Health and Safety Programs


EHS has developed a number of model programs to help provide for the health and safety of PennWest California employees.  Many of these programs are mandatory to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations.  The following are some of the programs and safety manuals available.

  • Bloodborne Pathogens
  • Confined Space Entry
  • Hazardous Waste
  • Hearing Conservation
  • Lockout/Tagout Program
  • Personal Protective Equipment Program
  • Fire Prevention and Response

These and other safety programs are available on the EHS website at cwis.cup.edu