Financial Aid

Higher education is an investment in your future, and PennWest California offers you the best value, along with many options for student financial aid to ensure affordability. Approximately 90% of all of our students receive some sort of financial aid. PennWest California provides need-based aid to 74% of our undergraduate students. We work with you to provide a personalized financial aid package to meet your needs.

Types of Financial Aid

Financial aid can reduce your cost to attend PennWest California. The Office of Financial Aid can help you understand the available types of financial aid to pay for the cost of your education. Types of financial aid include:

  • Scholarships are a form of financial aid that does not have to be repaid. Scholarships are available to all undergraduate and graduate students, including Global Online students, who meet certain guidelines. Scholarships may be awarded based on various types of criteria such as academics, achievements, hobbies, talents, affiliations with various groups or career aspirations.
  • Grants are forms of financial aid that do not have to be repaid. They are available only to PennWest California undergraduate students, including Global Online undergraduates. Most grant aid is based on a student's financial need, and can include federal, state, private and institutional funds.
  • Loans are an advance of funds with conditions that require the funds to be paid back shortly after graduation. They are available to all PennWest California undergraduate and graduate students, including Global Online students, who agree to and meet certain guidelines.
  • Work-Study programs allow students to earn money in the form of a paycheck. Work-study is available only to PennWest California undergraduate students who live on campus.

Review our financial aid webpages for information about PennWest California's financial aid process. For more help, contact the Office of Financial Aid by email ( or phone (724-938-4415). The office is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday - Friday.

The Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 requires educational institutions to make certain disclosures to students using federal military and/or VA educational benefits. You can access a personalized data sheet by visiting Consumer Information | PennWest California. Additional financial information can be found at the NCES College Navigator site or by contacting the PennWest California Office of Military & Veterans Affairs or the PennWest California Financial Aid office.

Chemistry experiement at PennWest California

Apply for Financial Aid


To be considered for all types of financial aid, you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): Review the step-by-step process. Complete and submit your FAFSA by March 1, PennWest California's priority processing deadline. PennWest California uses the FAFSA form to calculate your Expected Family Contribution and determine your financial need.

All students receiving Federal Title IV Financial Aid must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards to remain eligible for that aid.  SAP evaluation occurs at the end of every term.  Please review our SAP policy to ensure your eligibility.

Learn more.

Students sit on lawn ourtside of residence halls.

Important Resources


At PennWest California, you can turn to expert help in our Office of Financial Aid.  Counselors will explain the available types of financial aid, how to apply for financial aid, and the award process. The financial aid office also provides consumer information and a Financial Literacy Program to help you and your family make informed financial decisions.

Learn more.

A student plays a game on campus.

Office of Student Accounts and Billing


The Office of Student Accounts bills students for tuition, housing and fees. The Office of Student Accounts also provides information about the status of your account and answers questions about payment due dates, payment methods, payment plans, third-party billing, withdrawals, refunds and Perkins loan repayment. If you are awarded financial aid, the Office of Student Accounts is responsible for applying that financial aid amount to your bill.

Learn more