PennWest California's Academic regalia
Cap and Gown
Commencement is the most formal academic ceremony held by the University. It is also the most joyful of our events as we celebrate our students who have worked so hard to earn their degrees.
University approved regalia:
- Each graduating student must be attired in the University’s approved academic gown, matching cap and (at the graduate level only) hood. An exception is made for students who choose to wear their military dress uniforms.
- The gown and hood (if applicable) should be clean and pressed.
- The mortarboard should be worn flat on the top of the head, with the top of the cap parallel to the floor.
- For undergraduate students, the tassel should hang on the right side of the cap at the start of the program.
- Graduate students should have the tassel hang on the left side of the cap.
- Students are encouraged to decorate their mortarboards.
- Caps may be decorated on the top only, and any decorations must lie flat on the mortarboard.
- Nothing may hang or dangle from the mortarboard, other than the University-approved tassel.
- Adornments to regalia may include, but are not limited to, cords, stoles, medallions, pins and patches officially issued by the University and/or its recognized student organizations.
Doctoral Regalia ONLY:
- Deadline to order is March 4, 2022.
- Orders must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 724-938-5572.
Purchase of Bachelor’s and Master’s Regalia:
- Online ordering is available through: ly/calu
- March 22, 2022 - deadline for online orders to be shipped to the PennWest California Bookstore.
- April 11, 2022 – deadline for online orders to be shipped to your home address.
- In-store regalia purchases:
- Students can purchase their regalia at the PennWest California Bookstore.
- It is recommended that you purchase at least a month prior to the ceremony as sizes in-store will be limited.
Members of the military:
- You may wear your military dress uniform instead of the traditional cap and gown.
- Undergraduate degree-seeking students (associate and bachelor’s levels only) should thoroughly review the Undergraduate Honors at Graduation policy.
- Graduate degree-seeking students (master’s and doctoral levels only) should review the Graduate Honors at Graduation policy for eligibility.
*** ALL graduates who are eligible for honor cords are responsible for obtaining their cords from the PennWest California Bookstore by contacting Christina Guess at email@example.com ***
- A large selection of graduation accessories can be found through the PennWest California Bookstore.
- Announcements and diploma frames are available online through ly/calu.
- Class rings are available online through Balfour.