Register for Classes
Cal U students register for classes well in advance. In the midst of one semester, you'll hear, "It's time to register for next semester's classes!"
Even if it seems like the next semester is a long way off, it's important to register on your assigned day. Timely registration maximizes your ability to register for the classes you need.
To find out when you can register for classes, log in to the Vulcan Information Portal (VIP). Click on "registration status" to see your class level, your academic standing and the registration day.
You also will see whether any "holds" have been placed on your registration. If a hold is present, you must contact the office that placed the hold on your account and make arrangements to clear it before you can register.
What to do before you register
Before your assigned registration date:
- Check VIP to make sure you don't have any "holds" on your account. You won't be able to register for classes until any holds are cleared. Click here for how to view your holds.
- Meet with your academic adviser. This is usually a requirement, so contact your adviser early and set up a time to meet. To find our who your adviser is, log in to VIP, click on "Academic Info" and look for "Adviser" at the bottom of the first column. To contact your adviser, check this website's Directory/People Finder info or visit the department office for your major. Click here for how to find your academic advisor.
- Review your degree requirements on DegreeWorks, found in the "Academic Info" tab in VIP.
- Check VIP for your registration date and mark your calendar! Failure to register on your assigned day may reduce your ability to register for the classes you need. Click here to check your registration status.
How to register for classes
Step 1: Log in to VIP with your username and password. Your username is the first part of your Cal U email address (without "@calu.edu"). Your password is the same one you use to access your campus email account.
Step 2: Click on the "Academic Info" tab to register and view information personalized for you.
Then click on "Registration Status" in the Registration Tools channel. Make sure you have selected the term (spring, fall, summer, winter) when your classes will be held. Your status will show such information as your class level, your academic standing, and if any holds have been placed on your registration. If a hold is present, contact the office that placed the hold and make arrangements to clear it. For details about any holds, click on the "View Holds" link at the bottom of the page. Click here to understand your registration status.
Step 3: Under the Registration Tools channel, click on "Look Up Classes" to see the available courses with meeting times, location, prerequisites and instructor. Write down the CRN(s) of the class(es) you want. Click here for how to look up classes.
Step 4: Return to the "Academic Info" tab to register for the courses you have chosen. (Link is in the top lefthand corner.)
- Click on "Add or Drop Classes." Click here for how to add and drop classes.
- Enter the CRN of the course(s) you would like to register for and click "Submit."
- You will see a message telling you that by clicking "submit" you have registered for a course(s), which includes the associated bill. You are responsible for this bill unless you drop the course(s) before the beginning of the term.
Certain courses may require a prerequisite. If you have not met the necessary prerequisite, you will not be allowed to register for the class without the department's permission.
If a course is full, you will receive a "Registration Error." Click "Wait List" to be added to a list that will be reviewed by the department on a regular basis. If a seat opens, you will be notified through your Cal U email.
Need to add a course to the wait list, or register a wait listed course? Watch these videos for instructions:
Problems with your registration?
Don't let a problem keep you from registering for classes. We are here to help!
For time ticket errors or problems with student data:
- Undergraduates may contact the Office of Academic Records at 724-938-4435.
- Graduate students may contact the Graduate School at 724-938-4188.
For other issues, here's who to contact:
- Billing - Student Accounts Office (formerly Office of Student Accounts), Dixon Hall, Room 118; email@example.com or 724-938-4431.
- Financial aid - Financial Aid Office, Dixon Hall, first floor; firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-938-4415.
- Scheduling assistance -Scheduling Center, Noss Hall, Room 210; email@example.com or 724-938-1608.
- Graduation requirements - Degree Audit; 724-938-4407.
- Login or password problems - UTech Help Desk; Noss Hall; 724-938-5911.
- Placement testing - Placement Testing Center, Noss Hall, Room 215; firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-938-5779.
- Success Center graduate assistants (academic skills assistance) -Noss Hall, Room 211; email@example.com