Department of Humanities
Professor Vennum is "of counsel" in the Pittsburgh office of Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP. His practice encompasses a broad range of real estate, corporate, financing and construction-related projects. As part of his energy practice, he represents exploration and production companies and midstream operators in regional land development matters, including local zoning, road use, municipal ordinance challenged and general real estate issues. Additionally, he represents telecommunications companies, retail office brokers and commercial land developers in land use approvals, lease and general contract negotiations, construction disputes and commercial transactions, contract enforcement and judgment collections. He has counseled as to Federal and State Department of Environmental Protection regulations, review and cured issues related to Phase I Environmental Assessments and NEPA matters and reviewed curative action title searches and directed curative actions in order to confirm marketability of title. Professor Vennum is licensed to practice in Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia and New York.
- "Title and Real Estate Conveyancing in Pennsylvania," in The Law of Oil & Gas in Pennsylvania (Pa. Bar Inst. ed., 2016).
- "Post-Robinson Township Oil and Gas Zoning Ordinance Validity Challenges," presented at Pennsylvania Bar Institute's Hot Topics in Oil and Gas Symposium (May 2015).
- "Municipal Land Use: Oil and Gas Development," presented at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute's Hot Topics in Oil and Gas Symposium (2014).
- "Local Land Use Regulation: Divergent Perspectives after the Robinson Township Decision," presented at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute's Environmental Law Conference (April 11, 2014).
- "Ownership of Abandoned or Dormant Minerals: A Comparison of Pennsylvania and Ohio Law." Oil, Gas and Mining Vol. 1, Issue 2 (Winter 2014).
- "Recognizing New Issues Arising out of the Marcellus Shale Development - Avoiding Pitfalls - A Primer for Diligent Oil and Gas Title Attorneys." Pa. Bar Ass'n Q. (Jan. 2013).
- Liens and Actions Necessary to Proceed with Natural Gas Development; Probate and Intestate Succession; and, Notice and Consent Requirements (Comparing New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia). Energy and Mineral Law Foundation (May 2012).
- Post-Death Conveyances of Pennsylvania-Based Oil and Gas Royalty Interests: A Marcellus
Shale Primer, 11 PIOGA Press 42 (July 2011).
A State-by-State Analysis of Child Labor Laws, in Junior Fire and Emergency Services Programs.
- Students with Diabetes: Are There Legal Protections?, 24 J. of Law and Education 33 (1995).
- Blood Glucose Meter Accuracy: Liability and the Necessity of Refinement, 40 Med. Trial Tech. Q. 547 (1993).
- B.S. Secondary Education: Penn State University
- Juris Doctor: University of Pittsburgh
Office: Eberly Hall, Second Floor