Department of Criminal Justice and Psychology
Dr. Schaffner is a licensed psychologist in the state of Pennsylvania and a Nationally Certified School Psychologist. She is certified by Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) International as a Regional (Level II) Trainer in the model. She has provided extensive training and consultation in this evidence-based treatment to over 100 community-based mental health professionals across the state of Pennsylvania. Clinically, Dr. Schaffner’s area of focus include early childhood, disruptive behavior disorders, early childhood trauma, consultation/collaboration with early care and education, as well as community implementation of evidence-based intervention. She has particular interest in Parent-Child Interaction Therapy and the adaptation of PCIT with teachers (Teacher-Child Interaction Training). Her research interest focus on community implementation of evidence-based treatments, training of community-based practitioners, as well as early care and education.
- McCallum, E., Schmitt, A. J., Evans, S. N., Schaffner, K. F., & Long, K. H. (2013). An application of the taped spelling intervention to improve spelling skills. Journal of Evidence-Based Practices for Schools, 14, 51-80
- McGoey, K. E., Rispoli, K. M, Venesky, L. G., Schaffner, K. F., McGurk, L., & Marshall, S. (2014). A preliminary investigation into teacher perceptions of the barriers to behavior intervention implementation. Journal of Applied School Psychology, 20, 375-390.
- McGoey, K.E., Schreiber, J., Venesky L., Westwood, W., McGuirk L., & Schaffner, K. (2014). Factor structure of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms for children age 3 to 5 years. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 1-9. doi: 10.1177/0734282914 554255
- Herschell, A.D., Kolko, D.J., Mrozowski, S., Iyengar, S., Chaffin, M., Scudder, A. T., Taber-Thomas, S. M., Schaffner, K. F., & Hiegel, S. A. (2015). Protocol for a statewide trial to compare three training models for implementing an evidence-based treatment. Implementation Science, 10. doi: 10.1186/s13012-015-0324-z.
- Schaffner, K. F., McGoey, K. E., & Venesky, L. (2016). Teacher-Child Interaction Training with an Urban Clinical Preschool Population. School Psychology Forum: Research in Practice, 10, 1-14.
- Herschell, A.D., Scudder, A. B., Schaffner, K.F., & Slagel, L. A. (2016). Feasibility and effectiveness of parent-child interaction therapy with victims of domestic violence: A pilot study. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 26. doi: doi:10.1007/s10826-016-0546-y.
- Scudder, A. T., Taber-Thomas, S., Herschell, A. D., Schaffner, K., Pemberton, J., & Hunter, L. A (2017). Mixed-Methods Study of System- Level Sustainability of Evidence-Based Practices in 12 Large-Scale Implementation Initiatives. Health Research Policy and Systems. 15:102 doi: 10.1186/s12961-017-0230-8.
- Jackson, C. B., Herschell, A. D., Schaffner, K. F., Turiano, N. A., & McNeil, C. B. (2017). Training community-based clinicians in parent-child interaction therapy: The interaction between expert consultation and caseload. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 48(6), 481-489.
Books and Book Chapters
- Wallace, N. M., McNeil, C. B., Schaffner, K. F., & Herschell, A. D. (2016). Intensive Family Coaching: An Early Childhood Wellness Initiative – Therapist Manual. Unpublished manuscript, West Virginia University.
- Wallace, N. M., McNeil, C. B., Schaffner, K. F., & Herschell, A. D. (2016). Intensive Family Coaching: An Early Childhood Wellness Initiative – Caregiver Handbook. Unpublished manuscript, West Virginia University.
- Herschell, A. D., Schaffner, K. F., Taber-Thomas, S., & Scudder, A. B. (in press - 2018). Getting Parent-Child Interaction Therapy to Scale. In L. N. Niec (Ed.) Handbook of Parent-Child Interaction Therapy: Innovations and Applications for Research and Practice.
- B.A. Psychology and Spanish: Duquesne University
- M.Ed. Child Psychology: Duquesne University
- Ph.D. School Psychology: Duquesne University
Office: Morgan Hall 314