Associate Professor; Science, Environment and STEM Teacher Education
Department of Education
Dr. Hug's academic work focuses on elementary science teacher education, environmental education and place-based education. He teaches undergraduate and graduate teacher education courses such as Elementary Science Teaching Methods, Place-Based Environmental Education and Educational Research Methods.
Dr. Hug's research focuses on pre-service elementary teachers' understanding of science, environment, ecology and natural history content; place-based curriculum design, implementation and evaluation; and citizen decision-making in the service of sustainability goals.
- Science Teaching Methods for Early Childhood, Elementary and Adolescent Learners
- Environment, Ecology and Nature-Study Education
- Instructional Strategies in Early Childhood and Elementary Education
- Teaching Elementary & Middle School Children Life Science
- Integrative Project in STEM Education
- The Nature of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Inquiry Learning in Elementary/Middle Schools
- Action Research Methods in Education
- Instructional strategies for elementary science teacher education
- Science, environment and ecology conceptual understanding
- School curriculum that supports local communities
- PNC Bank Foundation Grow Up Great With Science grant to Cal U will enhance teachers' abilities to use outdoor experiences to teach children about plants, animals and communities.
- U.S. Department of Education grant to develop the capacity at Cal U to implement innovations in elementary science teacher education.
Service Learning Projects
- Ohiopyle Borough/Ohiopyle State Park Joint Master Plan and Implementation Strategy Advisory Committee
- Participation in Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources/Bureau of State Parks Regional Laurel Ridge Interpretive Planning Committee and Urban Planning Committee
- Consulting and professional services to elementary schools in science, environment, ecology and place-based education
About The Center for Excellence in Elementary Science and Math Education
- M.S.: Curriculum and Instruction, emphasis on Science and Environmental Education, Penn State
- Ph.D.: Curriculum and Instruction, emphasis in Science and Environmental Education, Penn State
Office: Keystone Hall Room 306