Counselor Education

Counselor Education Post Masters Licensure Certification

About Counselor Education Certification

Complete your requirements to become a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC).

Achieve your career goals at California University of Pennsylvania. If you hold a master's degree in counseling or a related field and are seeking licensure in Pennsylvania or another state, Cal U's post-graduate Counselor Education Certification program will help you meet your requirements to become a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC).

This non-degree program consists of on-campus counselor education classes that have been approved by the National Board for Certified Counselors and the Pennsylvania Department of Education (Act 48) for continuing education credits.

Take only the courses you need. 

  • Get rid of guesswork: Cal U's counselor education department will evaluate your transcripts and advise which courses are required. 
  • Adapt your curriculum to the licensure board requirements in your state.


Flexible Schedule: The counselor education department strives to ensure the courses you need are available when you need them. Fall, winter, spring and summer start-dates put you on a fast track to career success. Evening classes enable you to work full time while earning credits.

Top Accreditation: This graduate degree program is approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Cal U's education programs have also been accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) since 1954, and we are continuing with the successor organization, the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). See CAEP reporting measures of program impact and outcomes.

Learn more about applying

100 %
All of our counselor education faculty members are licensed professional counselors.
$45K - $77K 
The national average salary for licensed counselors is $45K. Licensed counselors in private practice have a median salary of $77K. Source:
icon undergrad for degree

Program Benefits

Counselor education courses meet CACREP curricular areas, including:

  • Professional orientation and ethical practice.
  • Social and cultural diversity.
  • Human growth and development.
  • Career development.
  • Group work.
  • Assessment.
  • Research methods and statistical analysis.
icon undergrad for degree

Graduate Outcomes

One in four Americans suffers from a diagnosable mental disorder every year, and the need for licensed counselors is high. LPCs have rewarding careers working with individuals, families and groups in mental health centers, agencies and organizations. LPCs are employed within and covered by managed care organizations and health plans. Cal U alumni job titles include:

  • School Counselor.
  • Mental Health Counselor.
  • Addictions Counselor.
  • Sports Counselor.
  • Spiritual/Religious Counselor.
  • Marriage and Family Counselor.

Curriculum, Admission Requirements and Related Courses

This post-master's counselor education program is designed to help students complete the 60 graduate-level credits required to obtain licensure as an LPC in Pennsylvania, and/or meet the LPC course requirements for other states. Two or more additional years of supervised on-site job experience also are needed to become an LPC. Check with your state licensure board to verify eligibility and requirements.


The curriculum for this program varies by student. Courses taken will assist students in fulfilling the requirements necessary to become a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC).


Admission Requirements

Regular Admission Requirements

  • Master's and Certification Only:  Bachelor's degree with a GPA of 2.90 or higher (Students with a GPA below 2.90 may apply for conditional admission)
  • Post-Master's Only: Master's degree with a GPA of 3.00 or higher (Students with a GPA below 3.00 may apply for conditional admission)
  • Official transcripts from an accredited institution (for Bachelor's and Master's degrees)
  • Two professional recommendations from professors or employers.
  • Master's and Certification Only:  One-page resume of work and education
  • Master's and Certification Only:  A 1,000 word psychobiography typed (see CED Handbook)

Conditional Admission Requirements

  • Conditional Admission may be granted with the following modifications of the Regular Admissions Requirements:
    • Master's and Certification Only:  Bachelor's degree with a GPA under 2.90 will be reviewed for a decision
    • Post-Master's Only:  Master's degree with a GPA under 3.00 will be reviewed for a decision
    • MAT with a 395 or higher or GRE with a 290 or higher
    • Interview

Provisional Admission
Applicants who have provided unofficial documentation of test scores, prerequisite courses, transcripts or lack of letter(s) of recommendation may be admitted provisionally.

This policy also applies to undergraduate students who apply for graduate admission pending bachelor degree completion. Upon receipt of all official documents, a student will be changed from Provisional Admission to either Regular Admission or Conditional Admission. Provisional Admission students may take classes for one term but will not be eligible for Federal Financial Aid.

How to Apply:

*Early Admit:  Feb 15 (for Summer or Fall starts), Sept 15 (for Spring starts)

*Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until classes are full

  • Submit the non-refundable $35 Application Fee
  • Mail official transcripts to:

School of Graduate Studies and Research
California University of Pennsylvania
Box 91
250 University Ave. 
California, PA 15419

For additional information:
Phone: 724-938-4187

Out of State Students:
All students who will be seeking certification outside of Pennsylvania are responsible for securing and following the certification requirements in the state in which they intend to apply for certification.

Related Programs

Master's Degrees

Certification and Certificates


What Do Students Say about Cal U?

What Do Students Say about Cal U? "I chose the counselor education program because I wanted to make a living helping people. What I liked most about my graduate program were my professors - men and women who I continue to think of as mentors and friends. ... The education and training that I received at Cal U was second to none." -Michael Pecosh, Private Practice Counselor in Washington, Pennsylvania.


What master's degree do you need to become an LPC?

In Pennsylvania, eligible master's degrees include:

  • Counseling, school counseling, clinical mental health counseling and counseling education.
  • Psychology.
  • Art therapy.
  • Social work.
  • Drama therapy and dance therapy.
  • Human services, and child development and family studies.

Counselor Education Faculty

Dr. Grafton Eliason

View profile
Dr. Elizabeth Gruber

View profile
Robert Mehalik
Assistant Professor

View profile
Dr. Jeff L. Samide

View profile
Dr. Jacqueline Walsh

View profile